The past couple years I've set some pretty lofty goals for myself. I've done a very good job of accomplishing them too. Here's a look at the past:
8 Goals for 2008
9 Goals for 2009
My word for 2010
So this year I want to scale back a bit. I've got a lot going on with goals already, so rather than make a big long list of new ones, I want restate the ones I'm working on and give a progress report of sorts. Plus, I've got a couple new ones to throw into the mix, of course.
- Finish my Associates Degree - I love that I can look back to my list of goals in 2008 and see that going back to school was on the list. And here I am a couple years later about to achieve this goal. If all goes as planned, I should be finished in August. Then I'll figure out what I'm going to do about a Bachelor's Degree.
- Advance my Career - This goes hand-in-hand with the completion of my degree. The whole purpose of training as a graphic designer is to apply for the job about to be vacated by the current graphic artist at work who will be retiring in October. I want his job, but to compete for it, I need that degree. Even if I don't get that job, I want to be a graphic artist somewhere and that will be a huge move for me this year.
- Become an Author - The first book is nearing publication and should be ready for purchase before the snow melts in Michigan this winter. It's running later than I wanted, but I'm still proud of actually seeing it through to the end. My second book (surprise!) is underway and I'm excited to see that finished and published this year too.
- Declutter - This one is an ongoing venture. But I've already taken 9 bags of stuff to Goodwill and have another 3 in the trunk of my car. I've loaded several bags and boxes of crap out to the dumpster and gotten rid of stuff that wasn't even worth donating to charity. I got a new toolbox for Christmas and I'm determined to carve out a place for it in my storage room and actually use it. The goal is to load up at least two boxes or bags of stuff per week -- one for charity, one for trash.
- Downsize to a smaller purse - This one is going to be tough. Every time I go to a smaller purse, I always go back to a bigger one. I'm tired of hauling around all this stuff I don't even use, so I'm going to downsize this year and make it a goal that's written down and real. LOL! I think my annual tax return splurge this year will be a Miche Bag with some fun shells.
- Slow Down - It's hard to slow down when you have a schedule as jam packed as mine. But it's absolutely necessary. I know I talk about setting goals with a clear and measurable outcome and this one doesn't have that type of principle applied. So in an effort to not wear myself out this year, I will take every Friday night "off" - no homework, no obligations, no working. My favorite coffeehouse often has live music on Fridays, so that type of activity will be the weekly goal.
So six goals for the year. Three are already underway and a plan is in motion, two that just need to be worked on little by little and the purse one has a clear target of completion with the planned purchase. It's manageable, right?