Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Reading List

You all are amazing! It's no wonder I love ya'll so much. You're helping me to discover some really cool new books (and also spend way too much money on Amazon again!). Wait.... how do I know what you're ready? Well, when you click on links on my blog that lead you to Amazon and you make a purchase (whether on that item or something else), I get a small commission on that purchase. The little bit of money I raise helps me to experiment with recipes or buy resources that I use for study and then sharing with you (like this nutrition textbook). But the coolest thing is that the items purchased are listed so I get to discover the treasures that you're finding on Amazon too!

Want to hear what YOU are reading?

Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst
This is a book I've discovered by listening to Lisa and Eric on the K-Love Radio morning show. They're doing a 21-day study of lessons from this book. It's all about learning to crave God more than you crave food (or other things that might be in your life). Yesterday's lesson was called Finding Your Beautiful. I've mentioned it a couple times on the OH Forums and a few of you have picked up Lysa's book (and several of her other books too).

A recent lesson from Lysa is this:
I’ve learned that the body God gave me is good. It’s not perfect, but my body is a gift, a good gift for which I can be thankful. Taking care of this gift and walking according to God’s plan gives me renewed strength to keep a healthy view of my body.



Eat it Up! by Connie Stapleton, Ph.D.
I heard Connie speak at the Obesity Help conference in Cincinnati and really enjoyed the message she brings to WLS folks. She emphasizes a whole-body approach to living your life -- mind-body-spirit -- to prevent weight regain in the months and years after bariatric surgery. I haven't read this book, but it's been on my wish-list for a while. After reading the reviews, it's going in my cart! 

A review from a reader on Amazon:
This book provided me with an opportunity to take the baggage of my life, set it on the table and begin to unpack issue after issue and deal with it! It is a life-changer! It not only gave me some principles to live by, but helped me in actually IMPLEMENTING THEM!!! 



Obesity Surgery: Story of Altered Lives by Marta Meana & Lindsey Ricciardi
I hadn't heard of this book until just the other day, but after reading the description and reviews - I'm intrigued. Here's the description of the book:

The surprising and unpredictable story of the personal and social after-effects of rapid and dramatic weight loss using in-depth, first person accounts of 33 men and women who underwent weight-loss surgery, this book elaborates on the complexities of finally getting what you wished for – the good, the bad, and the totally unexpected.  Losing a lot of weight is perhaps the most extreme make-over of all. It leaves people emotionally changed.  These changes are the heart of our book. At a more basic level, it is simply a story of how finally getting what you’ve always wished for can be much more complicated affair than you ever imagined.  


Recipes for Life After Weight-Loss Surgery: Delicious Dishes for Nourishing the New You by Margaret Furtado & Lynette Schultz


I have this cookbook. It's awesome! Each recipe has detailed information about which stage of post-op life it works best for (liquid diet, soft foods, dense foods) so it's easy to pick out recipes to try no matter how new or old your surgery is. There's also an extensive section in the front of the book that simply explains the various types of nutrition we need to know about -- protein, carbs, fats, various beverages and vitamins. Great information and yummy recipes!

Here's what one Amazon reviewer said:
I had Lap Band surgery and this book is incredible.It lists the different stages of surgery you can consume each recipe. They are not run of mill recipes or over the top. I have purchased two of these one for friend and one for myself.


Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook For Dummies by Brian Davidson, David Fouts & Karen Meyers
How come I didn't even know this book was out already?! I knew it was coming, but I totally missed the release date apparently. (Rushing off to buy it now!)

One of the authors, Chef Dave, spoke at the Obesity Help Conference in Cincinnati and I loved him! He's a long term post-RNY patient (9 years post-op) and has become a fixture in the WLS community and known as the Bariatric Chef. 

I'm excited to get my hands on this book. We all know and love the WLS For Dummies book, so I'm anticipating this cookbook will be just as helpful and packed with great information. 


So thank you, my lovely readers, for helping me discover some new books in the past several weeks. You've got great taste! If you purchased one of the books (or anything on Amazon) thank you so much for your contribute to the commission fund for this blog --- and I'd love to hear a review of the books you've read and any other recommendations you might have.

~Pam


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails