Sunday, February 27, 2011

Spaghetti and Meat Sauce

DSC_0201
One of the things I've missed since having WLS is spaghetti with my homemade tomato and meat sauce. But after discovering Dreamfields Pasta recently (see the post here)... I've decided to give spaghetti a try.

The only store locally I can find Dreamfields is Meijer which is only located in Michigan and Ohio I think. I'm sure it's out there more places but I haven't found it. Thankfully Amazon comes to the rescue and you can get it online for the same price I paid in the store ($2.59/box)

My amazing friend Mikey taught me how to make his version of spaghetti sauce several years ago and I haven't bought jarred sauce since. I've tweaked it a bit over the years and think it's pretty awesome. I haven't made it very often since my surgery but it's thick enough that you could easily eat this alone - I'll post some alternative recipes below if you don't want to try the pasta. The sauce is delicious - definitely try it!

Spaghetti Sauce

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 large onion
  • 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
  • Lawry's Seasoned Salt
  • 6-ounce can tomato paste
  • 28-ounce diced tomatoes OR crushed tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon dry Italian Seasoning
  • 2-3 cups water



In a large skillet brown the ground beef, onion and mushroom - season with Lawry's Seasoned Salt.

DSC_0192



Add the tomato paste and crushed (or diced) tomatoes along with a capful of Italian Seasoning. Add about  2 cups of water - or however much it takes to get the consistency you like for sauce. Cover and let simmer for at least 20 minutes.

DSC_0193


In the meantime, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Time the pasta, it will overcook before you realize it!

DSC_0195


Serve the Spaghetti Sauce over the freshly drained noodles. Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese if you have it (I was all out).


DSC_0201



Alternative WLS-friendly Spaghetti Sauce Ideas:


  • In small individual size baking dish (I have these) add about 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of the sauce and top generously with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 450 until the cheese is brown and bubbly
  • Instead of pasta noodles, slice rounds from baby zucchini and summer squash that is steamed or baked. Serve sauce over the squash as if it were pasta.
  • The sauce would be a great base for Nikki's no-noodle lasagna

1 comment:

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails