Sunday, January 09, 2011

Dreamfields Pasta

When you look at this photo you're probably thinking: "Pam has lost her mind!" Yes folks... what you see before you is pasta! Whoa! Can you believe it! Pasta in a recipe on a WLS blog by a self-professed-pasta-avoider. But your eyes are not deceiving you. That's real pasta right there!

One Pot Dinner


But before you get the recipe, I want to tell you about the pasta and my little experiment. So let's talk about Dreamfields Pasta. Even though the nutrition label looks exactly the same as normal pasta, they have something called Protected Carbohydrates which reduces the total digestible carb count to a ridiculously low number. How does that work, exactly?

From the Dreamfields website:

While the total number of carbohydrates is the same as traditional pasta, our patent-pending formula and unique manufacturing process protects all but 5 grams of carbohydrates from being digested. The Dreamfields fiber and protein blend creates a protective barrier to reduce starch digestion in the small intestine. The unabsorbed, or protected carbohydrates then pass to the colon where they are fermented, providing the same health benefits as fiber. Dreamfields Pasta is the only pasta clinically shown to have a lower glycemic index than traditional pasta . (Dreamfields GI=13; traditional pasta GI=38). This blend also protects all but 5 grams of the carbohydrates per serving from being digested and therefore lessens post-meal blood glucose rise as compared to traditional pasta. We carefully monitor and clinically test our pasta on healthy people to ensure accuracy of its stated GI level.

 OK, you all know me well, right? I'm the biggest skeptic there is! If I don't understand the science behind something, I won't accept it until I figure it out. And since this manufacturing process is "patent-pending" the Dreamfields folks they don't give much detailed information about how it actually happens - just that it works and that they've tested it, etc.

Here's what a nutrition label looks like on the elbow macaroni I bought for this recipe:



Obviously they have to list the traditional nutrition stats on the label until the FDA gives them permission to do otherwise. So it looks like you're getting the full 41g of carbs with each 2oz serving and a whopping 190 calories. But if you do the math and calculate calories based on the claimed digestible carb count, then you're at:

Fat 1g = 9 calories
Carbs = 5g = 20 calories
Protein = 7g = 28 calories
Total = 57 calories

So I decided to give it a try with my own blood glucose levels and see what happens. I ate 2oz of pasta (measured dry, then cooked according to the box) and added just a bit of extra virgin olive oil for flavor and sprinkled in some Italian Seasoning mixed herbs. I started on empty - hadn't eaten anything for 3.5 hours before this experiment. I tested my blood sugar and this is what I found:
  • Before eating - 77
  • 30 minutes after - 134
  • 60 minutes after - 118
  • 90 minutes after - 115
These number are pretty much in line with a normal meal that's balanced with protein, fat and carbs. No reactive hypoglycemic blood sugar crash at all! And most importantly.... no tummy ache! I still don't understand the science and will remain a skeptic until more information is published about how they make undigestible carbs and stuff.... but for now, Dreamfields passes the Pam Test!

Side Note -- 2oz of pasta was not very much food for someone 3 years post-op. It was barely enough to pass as a small snack for my mature pouch. So right after that last blood test, I went and found some real food to satisfy this hunger. :-)

And what does this mean for you? It means new types of recipes will be coming your way... including the one pictured above - the One Pot Dinner which I'll post in a day or so.

~Pam

6 comments:

  1. Just 2 months out and this surgery was so difficult for me.
    So many set backs.
    Had no good things to say about the struggle and difficulties plus additional tests with my
    WLS.
    My husband has been such a good person through out this time period.
    Without him I would have thrown in the towel and gone down hill further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for the review! I'm still 8 days away from surgery (VSG) but I'm very much looking forward to trying this in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Pam! I wanted to second your comments about the Dreamfields Pasta... I have been hooked on it since I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2009, a year before my RNY surgery in 2010. I could eat a small portion of it, and it never made my sugar level go up much at all! Plus, it tastes like regular pasta, and my family loved it too. Now I am 10 months out from RNY and can tolerate the Dreamfields Pasta again. LOVE IT!! TWO THUMBS UP!! :) Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can peruse their scientific method by searching for their patent which are freely available at the Patent office website. Good luck getting through the bureaucratic gobbleygook though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know there is some controversy re that pasta.. I know my body react sto it as if I ate regular pasta... The topings - is what makes a difference for me. But with the smae sauce - there is very little difference .
    http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/dreamfields-president-mike-crowley-we-stand-behind-the-nutritional-claims-of-our-product/10785

    Hala

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hala - I'm fully aware of the reports on the pasta. I did my own test and the way my body reacts to Dreamfields is obviously different than what happened with the guy in the link you sent. For my own body, I'm satisfied that it's a safe food to eat in moderation and that's what I do. When I get a hankering for pasta, this is the brand I choose.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails