Friday, November 26, 2010

Scalloped Corn Recipe

Since I was a little girl, I remember my mom making this recipe for special occasions. The recipe I'll share below is exactly the same as what my mom used to make -- except she'd always leave out the pepper since she doesn't like it, but I've added it back in to my version.

It's basically a corn custard like casserole with buttered saltine crackers crumbled on the top to make a crispy crust. This would be a great WLS-friendly side dish to a protein-forward meal.


DSC_9169


Scalloped Corn Recipe

1 15oz can cream style corn
1 15oz can whole kernel corn (I used frozen)
1 medium onion - chopped
2 whole eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup saltines - crushed
salt and pepper

Topping
1 1/2 cup saltine crackers - crushed
1/2 stick butter

Spray casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Mix together milk and eggs, then add all remaining and mix until well blended. The original recipe says to butter the saltine crackers before crushing them, but I'm lazy so I just crush the crackers and add dabs of butter on top and let the oven do the work.

I forgot to buy saltine crackers for this recipe so I had to improvise with what I had on hand. I found a box of almost-stale club crackers in the back of my pantry, and they worked just fine for this recipe.

Bake in 350-degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the casserole is bubbly delicious.


DSC_9002


Want to sneak a taste before dinner? Here's the trick...

Use a small salad size fork and dig down along the edge of the casserole dish, being careful not to disturb the topping too much. Pull out a forkful and enjoy. Then go back and brush crumbs over the hole you just made. Nobody will ever be the wiser!

DSC_9030



Other WLS-Friendly Side Dish Recipes

Greek Yogurt Coleslaw
Steamed Edamame
Stuffed Mushroom Caps

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails