Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Black-Cranberry Citrus Sauce

DSC_8975


After watching Pioneer Woman and Bobby Flay on the Food Network doing the Thanksgiving Throwdown, I was inspired to try the cranberry "condiment" that Bobby made. I have an abundance of blackberries in my freezer from this summer so it was a logical experiment as an addition to the family Thanksgiving meal. I'm not a big cranberry relish type of gal, but this concoction turned out delicious!

Black-Cranberry Citrus Sauce

1 package fresh cranberries
2 cup blackberries (fresh or frozen)
2 oranges plus their zest
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar (or Splenda)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons cornstarch

DSC_8943
Zest the two oranges, then peel and segment and chop into small pieces. Then add the orange pieces and all other ingredients except cornstarch to a saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer. Stir often and mash the blackberries and cranberries as they get soft. The juice will thicken naturally. Near the end of cooking mix cornstarch with a bit of water and mix into the cranberry relish and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Serve chilled.

In case you're curious... here's Bobby's version of this relish (which I looked up after making up my own - Wow! It's a lot different!). Bobby Flay's Cranberry-Blackberry Relish

I'm hoping there will be some leftovers after dinner tomorrow (I'm sure there will be lots) so I can experiment with this sauce. Maybe a black-cranberry protein shake? Maybe black-cranberry muffins? Or maybe as a topping to Nikki's Protein Cheesecake? Ooo... bet it's be great on Pink Pancakes or Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal too! What else could I do with leftovers? Ideas????


Other Thanksgiving Recipes

Butternut Squash Soup
Pumpkin Fluff
Cranberry-Pineapple Meatballs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails