Thursday, November 25, 2010

Giving Thanks

What is your favorite Thanksgiving memory? Or better yet, what was your most memorable Thanksgiving?

My most memorable is the Thanksgiving I spent when I was away at college living in Iowa. I was the typical poor college student and couldn't afford to make the 12 hour trip home for the holiday. So instead of going home I was invited to eat dinner with a family from the church I was attending.

What's great about eating a holiday dinner with a new family is that you get to experience a whole new set of traditions, food choices and activities that most people never get the chance to see. I ate foods that my family never prepares for holidays. And I had the chance to be a part of a family that was new to me and welcomed me with open arms. It was a fun experience. Of course, I was homesick and wanted to be with my own family. But even now, 20 years later, I still remember that day.

Some of my favorite Thanksgiving memories include the years we held the big dinner at the campground instead of someone's house. My parents have a membership to a private campground network and one of their facilities is near my extended family's hometown -- so we'd reserve the kitchen in the activity hall and host the famil Thanksgiving there. (There's about 25 of us in the immediate family.) The cool thing is that this activity hall is connected to the indoor swimming pool and whirlpool so we'd all bring our bathing suits and play in the pool after dinner. We did this for several years in a row.

This year we're heading to my parents' house for the feast. There will be about 25 of us gathered around the table -- all making way too much noise and causing quite a ruckus all day long. It'll be a blast, just like always.

So what's most memorable Thanksgiving you've ever had?

Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving Day filled with blessings, love and a grateful heart.

~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails