Friday, October 17, 2008

Will I change after surgery?

Someone on OH expressed their fear of persoality changes after surgery. She was afraid she'd change and become a person she didn't want to be once she lost the weight. I'm copying my response to her thread here because it really sums up how I feel about the changes I've seen in my own life since my surgery.


------------------


Yep, you're going to change. It's part of the process. Part of the journey. 


But.... HOW you change is completely up to you. 


Having WLS is your opportunity to make the changes you WANT to see in your life. Are you tired of hiding under your weight? Now is the chance to change that. Do you want to be more outgoing and adventurous? Do you want to be more involved in your community and make new friends? Do you want to feel more secure financially and spiritually and intellectually? Do you want to be more confident in the person you are and embrace the attitude and personality you've been hiding for too long? Do you want your relationships to be stronger and happier and more fun? 


When in your life have you ever had the opportunity or excuse to make the changes in your life that you've been resisting all along?


Nothing is holding you back now... not your weight, not your self esteem, not your fears. You have made the decision to have WLS. You've decided to change your relationship with food. You've decided to be more active and learn to love exercise and make it a part of your life. You've made the decision to improve the wonderful person you already are. This is a time for celebration and excitement.


Right after my surgery I joined a 10-week group therapy program offered by the psychologist who works with my bariatric center. Together we each developed our own Comprehensive Holistic Wellness Plan. We were able to set goals for every area of our lives as well as WLS specific things.  It allowed me to set goals for my spiritual health, financial health, vocational health, intellectul health, emotional health and the health of my relationships. 


This journey is NOT all about some silly number on a scale or the size jeans we wear -- it's about becoming a healthy person from every angle of our lives. 


By setting specific goals for what you want to change, you have control over the changes that will take place in your life. Share your goals with loved ones and keep a journal to track your progress. 


Embrace the change you want to see in your life. It's a good thing. Really.


I'm a happier person than I was 11 months ago. I'm happy. And I didn't even know that I wasn't happy before. Change is fantastic. You're going to love the person you become.


~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails