Sunday, January 06, 2008

Good days and Bad days

This morning I realized that I tend not to blog on bad days. Yesterday wasn't a great day and felt sick to my stomach most of the day ... but rather than document it, I just hibernated. But why document the bad days, you ask? A couple reasons, actually. First I want to have a true record of my journey for my own information so I can look back a year from now (or whenever) and see how I was feeling/doing at different stages of my WLS journey. Second, I want to paint a true picture of this whole process for others who might be reading this blog -- either those who have already had surgery or those who are thinking about it. I don't want to make it seem like it's all roses and sunshine all the time. There are hard days. Really hard days. No, the hard days don't outweigh the good days .. but they still need to be talked about. So yesterday started out alright. I had a protein shake in the morning like normal. Lunch around 1:00 was a different story. I ate a half of a Thomas Lite Multigrain english muffin with a smear of peanut butter and a touch of sugar free jelly. (I'm trying to add more fiber to my diet.) Actually I ate about half of it before it started to feel like a rock in my tummy. About 30 minutes later I was suffering from the dry heaves. So far I've never truly vomited anything ... but the dry heaves seem to be my trademark on sick days. After about 5 minutes of heaving I felt somewhat better. Almost like the heaving routine dislodged the muffin from wherever it didn't want to be. On a queasy stomach I tend to crave one of the Popsicle Brand sugar free popsicles. So I slowly ate 1 to settle things down. I went out and ran some errands mid-afternoon and stopped at Barnes and Noble bookstore to browse around a bit. I kept hearing about the new Starbucks Cinnamon Dulce Latte, so of course I had to try one. It was a decaf, soy, sugar-free Cinnamon Dulce Latte to be exact. And it was so good!! Before surgery I used to be a morning coffee addict but I quit about a month before surgery to eliminate the caffeine. So this was my first coffee in about 3 months. Wow! After my incident with lunch I was weary to have anything solid for dinner. I should have known better and just had soup. But I pushed my limits and had some roast beef and squash. After a few bites of the beef I knew things were not good. I stopped eating right away and waited for the heaving to start. It didn't. It took me about an hour before I started feeling better again. So that was my yucky day yesterday. Today I'm going to give my pouch a break and focus mostly on liquids. Soup will be my friend today. I will do a better job of documenting both the good days AND the bad days from now on. ~Pam

1 comment:

  1. That's great advice! I'm one of those people who get embarrassed to blog about bad days, so my blog always seems to have good days (if I even blog about my own weight at all). That's not honest, and it gives people the wrong impression. I need to start blogging every day.

    As soon as a I have a good day ...

    Thanks so much for sharing your words of wisdom with us.



Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails