Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Everything Still Works

When you get a few years out from bariatric surgery there are days when you doubt that things are still working like they should be. You're able to eat very much like a normal person and you have established routines or habits that you don't have to think much about like you did right after surgery. Life just trucks along normally for long periods of time. Until one day, you're suddenly reminded that you have a very small pouch that needs special care and procedures.

So last night I made some dinner, like normal. I fired up my George Foreman Grill and made a piece of boneless, skinless chicken breast. I fixed a side of steamed broccoli and some delicious long grain rice (I found a deal on Uncle Ben's microwave rice at my local store). It was very good and definitely hit the spot for a healthy dinner.

Then suddenly I realized I'd been eating too quickly and felt that all-too-familiar feeling of having chicken stuck. Oh boy! This hasn't happened in a very long time. Way back when I was a newbie, chicken and I had a rocky relationship and that horrible "stuck feeling" was something I was well acquainted with. But that rarely happens anymore and usually only when I'm not paying attention and eat too quickly or don't chew well enough. So last night was one of those rare moments.

I was miserable for a couple hours -- wishing that it would move, either go down or come up. But nothing. Finally I had to take matters into my own hands and made some hot tea and started sipping. It didn't take long... only about 5 minutes ... and relief finally came in the form of gut wrenching vomiting. I had never been so happy to puke in my life! As soon as that was done, life was beautiful again and all was right with the world.

So this was a reminder to me that I'm not normal and that my pouch keeps me in check even when I'm not paying attention to it. My pouch still works to keep my portions small. And it's behavior keeps me in line with being conscious about my eating and taking my time to do what's right for my body. I love my pouch!

As my friend Nikki said when I told her this story... "Only in our world is this a happy occasion."

I love that I'm nearly four years post-op and my pouch still works just fine. Makes me happy for sure!

~Pam

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! Remember to always respect your pouch/sleeve!! Got it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it is such a great an informative post by you. We can collect a so many new thing information from here.

    bariatric surgery

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know all to well of what you write.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails