Friday, October 21, 2011

Healthy Homemade Granola

I love granola but I don't like all the added sugar that comes with store-bought varieties. I've been wanting to make my own granola for a while now, but haven't taken the time to research how to do it or actually spend enough time in the kitchen to do it. Until now!

I spent some time online looking at granola recipes from other bloggers and also chefs on the Food Network website. I came across about six different recipes that I liked and decided to combine some of the elements of each and figure out a way to make the whole thing sugar-free.

EDW_0026
Peach Carbmaster Yogurt, Mandarin Oranges & Healthy Homemade Granola

Dry Ingredients:

  • 2 c. Kashi Go Lean high-protein cereal
  • 4 c. old fashioned rolled oats (not quick oats)
  • 1/2 c. unsweetened coconut (this is hard to find in stores, I buy mine on Amazon)
  • 1/4 c. sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 c. sliced almonds (whole almonds or slivered almonds would work too)

Wet Ingredients:

Finishing Ingredients:
  • 1 c. dried cranberries, raisins, cherries or other dried fruit (I use Craisins)

Directions:
Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl and set aside. Mix all wet ingredients until Splenda Brown Sugar is fully dissolved. Pour the wet ingredients over the oat mixture and mix completely with your hands until everything is well coated and all the liquid is absorbed. Arrange the mixture onto two large baking pans and place in 300-degree oven. Bake for a total of 15 to 30 minutes, depending on how dark you like your granola. VERY IMPORTANT: Stir the granola every 7 minutes to make sure it is being baked evenly. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Toss in cranberries or other dried fruit. Store in air-tight container. 

* Note: Splenda Brown Sugar is not sugar-free. It is half Splenda and half real brown sugar. Please use caution when using this ingredient if you have a sugar intolerance. An alternative I've heard about from others is called Ideal Brown Sweetener that does not include sugar -- have you tried it before?


I am enjoying my granola in my yogurt lately. The picture above is Peach Carbmaster Yogurt with a snack cup of mandarin oranges and a generous helping of my Healthy Homemade Granola mixed in. It's delicious!

EDW_0029

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails