Monday, March 07, 2011

Banana Oat Muffins

For the past few weeks I've been experimenting with a new breakfast routine. Actually, not just breakfast -- but a whole new morning routine. So far I've been liking it when I can actually pull it off. I've been getting out of bed 30 minutes early lately. While the coffee is brewing I'll do several yoga stretches and spend about 15 minutes getting in a mini-workout. Then I enjoy a cup of coffee in the silence of the morning before I get ready for work.

Then on the drive to work I'll eat one of the Banana Oat Muffins. They are delicious, low in calories and packed full of nutrients and fiber. A great start to my morning!

DSC_0293


Ingredients
2 1/4 cup oat bran (see below for instructions)
1 T baking powder
1/4 cup Splenda
1 T cinnamon
2 large overripe bananas
1 1/4 cup milk
1 egg

Optional add-ins
2 T nuts (I use sliced almonds)
2 T dried fruit or raisins (I use cherry cranberries)
1/4c coconut

I can't seem to find Oat Bran in any local store so in a pinch I decided to try making my own. In a food processor put several cups of old fashioned oats (not quick oats) and blend until the oats become a flour consistency. I had a one pound box of oats and just whizzed up the whole container and stored the leftovers for the next time I made muffins.

DSC_0148
In a food processor puree the bananas. Add the egg and whirl again. Mix all dry ingredients in bowl, add banana/egg mixture and milk. Mix with spoon until well blended. Spray a 12-slot muffin tin with non-stick spray and preheat oven to 450-degrees (yes, I know that's hot, but trust me!). The batter will make exactly 12 muffins - fill the cups all the way to the top using a 1/2 cup measuring cup.

Bake at 450-degrees for 15 minutes. Let them cool for 15-20 minutes in the pan before attempting to remove them. They will shrink slightly as they cool and be easier to take out of the pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.

To hide these from your family and save them for your own breakfasts, this is what I do. Wrap each muffin individually in aluminum foil and place in the freezer. Then each morning remove a muffin and put in the microwave for 40 seconds. Re-wrap and pack it in the lunch bag for breakfast on the commute to work.

Enjoy!
Pam

1 comment:

  1. I did something similar when we were all making microwave flax muffins (but that takes "time").
    I try to use yogurt for baking as I don't enjoy by itself but in a "carb" I don't mind. I also don't like to use machinery I have to clean regularly-hence a microwave and toaster oven.
    thanks P.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails