Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Beef & Barley Veggie Soup

The first time I ever tried barley years ago I had no idea what to do with it. So I just made the recipe on the side of the box for Beef & Barley soup. It was very good and that's all I've ever done with barley since that first time. It has been years since I've tried that recipe. But then a lady at work mentioned the other day that she'd made that same recipe and was going to have some of that soup for lunch. So of course I wanted some too --- and I've got plenty! It's my lunches all this week.

DSC_0402

Beef and Barley Veggie Soup

  • 1 cup dry pearl barley
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 large onion - chopped
  • 2 large carrots - chopped
  • 2 stalks celery  - chopped
  • 1 can petite diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup shelled edamame
  • 2 small red skinned potatoes - diced
  • 1 large bunch fresh spinach - rough chopped
  • 2 quarts beef broth
  • Italian seasoning
  • salt & pepper


Brown the ground beef, drain and add to stock pot. Sweat the onions in the beef drippings and add to pot. Add barley, carrots, celery, potatoes, tomatoes and edamame to the pot along with the beef broth and seasoning. Allow simmer until barley and veggies are tender. Add the spinach and allow it to wilt. 

Serve with a side salad or a few whole grain crackers. 

Enjoy!
~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails