Friday, January 22, 2010

Graduate School

I know... I know.. I know!  Just what I need is more school, right?  LOL!  Well, this is a different kind of school.  Remember the 10 week group therapy sessions I went through back at the beginning of my WLS journey?  The Comprehensive Holistic Wellness Plan. The psychologist who runs that therapy program called that session "Finishing School."  But now he's starting a second session for those who have been through the first and he's calling it "Graduate School."  


I'm signed up and class begins next week.  So Thursday nights for the next 10 or 12 weeks will be dedicated to my mental and emotional health.  I already feel like I'm in a pretty good spot emotionally, but we all have room to improve right?  There's definitely stuff I want to work on and I keep trying to do it on my own, but often get interrupted with life.  So having a dedicated time frame to focus on this is a good thing. 


I wish these two therapy sessions -- or some type of classroom session similar to the concept -- were requires for all weight loss surgery patients.  Too often patients are so worried about the surgery and the few months post-op that they forget to work on the real reason we needed WLS in the first place-- the mental stuff.  If your bariatric program doesn't offer it but you want to suggest it to them, let me know and I can put you in touch with my psychologists' office.  


~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails