Thursday, June 04, 2009

Sometimes you just need a little cod liver oil



I know, I know, I know... we WLS'ers talk about our bathroom habits way too much. But it's an issue for us. So when we find something that makes life better, we gotta share. I've been hearing about liquid fish oil for a while now, but I've always been too chicken to try it. It's a bit expensive so experimenting with it wasn't exactly economical. 


But then I found the Spring Valley Cod Liver Oil (in orange flavor) at Walmart for about $7.50 for a 12oz bottle (slightly cheaper on Amazon). Normally I've seen other brands/flavors for around $20 for a slightly larger bottle. But since it was a bit cheaper, I took the plunge and bought a bottle.

I brought it home and it sat on the counter for a week before I was brave enough to try it. And yes, it tastes pretty nasty. Not as bad as you'd think though. The orange kind of masks the flavor a bit, but still... I gotta drink half a glass of Crystal Light after taking my morning dose. There are calories in this stuff, so make sure you're calculating that into your overall intake for the day. 


Does it work? Oh yeah! It works like a dream! 


Here's the deal. As WLS'ers we tend to be eating a pretty low-fat diet with all this health food we're consuming. But our body NEEDS good fat. Not only for good joint and heart health and organ function, but also for good digestive health. The healthy oils act as a lubricant for our digestive tract. Everything just runs smoother with a bit of fat in the system. So if you're struggling like the rest of us. 


Try this stuff out. You'll thank me later. 


~Pam

2 comments:

  1. ok, not to sound stupid, but would olive oil do the same thing? I don't mind its taste?

    Pam E

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if it would have the same effect. They key is the omega-3 fatty acids and I think olive oils is slightly different. I'll have to do some digging and let you know.
    ~Pam

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails