Saturday, September 27, 2008

I don't dump .... sorta.


I mentioned the other day that I don't have the dumping syndrome which is so common with RNY folks.  But that's not entirely true.  I do dump.  But I have a pretty high threshold for sugar before I get that awful feeling of death warmed over.  

First, let me explain what dumping is.   Here's a pretty good explaination from Strong Health:








"Dumping syndrome." When stomach contents are literally "dumped" rapidly into the small intestine. Sometimes triggered by too much sugar or large amounts of food. Dumping symptoms aren't fun: nausea, weakness, sweating, faintness, and diarrhea. Some patients can prevent dumping syndrome by avoiding sweets after surgery.

So the dumping I'm talking about is just that which is triggered by sugar.  Unfortunately I learned a while ago that I *DO* dump when I take in about 1.5 cups of sugar.  Remember my sugar surprise from Tropical Smoothie Protein Shake?  You'd think that with 340g of sugar I would be miserable for a week afterward.  But within an hour I was fine and the initial symptoms weren't horrible.  

Obviously, I don't order those everyday.  In fact, I haven't been back to that restaurant since that day.  And since that day I have been very careful not to let myself over indulge in sugar.  But over time I've figured out my limit.  

I can eat up to about 25g of sugar without any ill effects.  That's a package of peanut M&M's or a whole slice of cake. Yes, I've eaten both of those things.  No I don't eat them often .. in fact it's rare for me to ever get up to that 25g limit.  I'm perfectly satisfied with 2 bites of cake off someone else's plate.  My chocolate craving is easily satisfied with 3 M&M's or 1 Hershey's Kiss.  I don't need all tha sugar, my tastes have changed and I don't desire it like I used to. 

So what happens if I eat more than 25g of sugar?  Yep... I've found that out too.  I do get the classic dumping symptoms if I eat too much sugar.  Although it's mild compared to the stories I've heard from others, it's still not pleasant and I absolutely regret my bad choice. 

Let me just be clear though --- I don't go around eating sweets all the time.  But I do once in a while if I'm out somewhere and need to steal a bite from my dad's plate (or whoever) I know I can do it without getting sick.  

I know many people who have a limit of as little as 3g of sugar.  And I know some who don't dump at all no matter how much sugar they have.  I think I'm pretty happy with where I fall on the spectrum.  Glad I can eat fairly normal when it comes to sweets, and glad that I have the ability to be satisfied on a bite or two.  

And that, my friends... is my dumping story.  

~Pam

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it without your cell phone! I get a tropical smoothie about 4 times a week and always order with "splenda" - I'm very sensitive with sugar . . which is weird because I can handle the sugar from fruit. So go back to the "tropic's" it wonderful!
    And I'm using my ice cream maker and loving it - I made choc, raspberry protein and it's wonderful. I can't wait to go to sleep so I can get up and enjoy my breakfast!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails