Thursday, October 02, 2008

Race this Weekend

I have been training since March for this weekend. I walked 10 miles in August and I'm ready to do 13.1 miles in just 3 days. I'm looking forward to achieving this goal.  The course is very challenging -- first half is downhill and then it's all uphill to the finish line.  I'm also looking forward to being a part of the inaugural year of the race.
My ankle is mostly healed ... at least for now.  I walked 5 miles this past weekend on a flat trail and did well.  But once I hit the hills of the Brooksie Way, I fully expect to reinjure those tendons.  So then I'll spend the next couple weeks babying it again until its healed again.  I know, I know, I know... not the smartest plan, but that's the plan I'm going to stick to for now. 
I have a bigger issue that's been bothering me about this weekend though.  
I am part of the organizing committee who is putting this whole race weekend together.  I am part of the sub-committee that is organizing the Health & Wellness Expo which happens on Saturday, the day before the race.  This is where all racers will need to go in order to pick up their race packets.  We've booked 52 vendors, a speaker, a musical group and several non-profit organizations who will all exhibit for racers and the general public.  So, needless to say, a huge production. 
What's that got to do with the race on Sunday?  Well... I'll be at the Expo from 6:00 am Saturday morning until 7:00pm that evening and I live about 2 hours away from the venue.  Makes for a very long day, huh?  With most of that day spent on my feet, walking around, hauling stuff and making sure everything is running smoothly.  So not only the physical exertion, but also a huge mental exercise too.  
The past couple weeks leading up to the Expo has been busy with details and planning.  This is the first year of the Expo (and race too) so there is no guidelines to follow --- we're making it all up on the fly. This week has really gotten hectic and I've worked a lot of extra house.  Most of the detail work has fallen in my lap at work, which is fine, I love it, but I've ended up exhausted as a result.  I feel like I could sleep for a week right now. 
So there you go.  I'm worried about the race.  Not because of the injury, but because I know I'm not in a good condition physically and mentally to face this huge race.  
My only plan right now is to try and leave early on Saturday from the Expo.  If tasks are covered and I have enough staffers and volunteers to handle the last few hours of the day, I'll cut out early.  If I can be home by 6:00 I feel like I'll be able to unwind from the stress of planning the event, take a hot bath and get to bed early.  I'll leave Sunday morning for the race around 5:00a.m. and do the race. 
So keep me in your thoughts and prayers this weekend. Tomorrow and Saturday will be pure craziness.  And Sunday I'm going to see the many long weeks of training result in the completion of my first half marathon.  WooHoo!
~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails