Sunday, March 02, 2008

Checking in on my New Year's Resolutions

Remember my "8 for 2008" goals for the New Year? I do. And I've been working on them faithfully - one at a time. So I thought I'd post an update about my progress.

1. Continue on my Journey to Health by following my surgeon’s rules, being smart about my food choices, exercising like a crazy woman and focusing on my emotional well being.
I've been doing a good job of following the rules and staying on track with my food choices and emotional journey. I need to do a better job of "exercising like a crazy woman" though.

2. Follow my Retirement & Emergency Savings Plans (which includes a savings account for a trip to Italy for my 40th birthday!!!)
On track with this as well.

3. Learn to knit
Wow! I learned to knit! Thanks to YouTube and a couple online written tutorials, I learned how to knit in a single afternoon. The first project was a mess of dropped stitches and uneven tension/gage, but eventually things got better. I've fallen in love with felted bags. I'll need to take a few pictures and show you my creations.

4. Develop my photographic skills and immerse myself in the hobby of photography
Haven't really started on this one yet. I hate the cold and snow, so as soon as things warm up here in Michigan, I'll be out and about with my camera.

5. Go to more events – movies, plays, concerts, museums, productions and shows. There are tons of opportunities all around me and I'd like to do more this year!
This is an amazing goal and I'm so glad I set it. I'm writing to you today from The Harvest Coffeehouse where there's live music this afternoon. Last night I went to the State Theater for a concert by The Young Dubliners. In January and February I went to two different plays by a couple different local playhouses. I also have been going to the Sunday afternoon independent film presentations at the Temple Theater. The Temple is an old restored theater in downtown Saginaw that is so elegant and beautiful -- marble or plush carpet everywhere, chandeliers in the ladies room, immaculately restored architecture and ornate appointments all around. Before each Sunday's film there's an organ ovature played by expert organists on an antique pipe organ. Who knew I'd love all this culture! I set up a Google Calendar and listed as many events as I could find for the rest of the year (and it continues to grow) -- so I always know what's going on and what's coming up.

6. Get your butt back to school
Still haven't registered for classes and probably won't make it for the Spring quarter, but I'm hoping things work out for Summer quarter. I really want to finish my degree.

7. Purge the clutter. (Storage room cleaning project begins next week!)
Slowly but surely I'm working my way through the overcrowded mess. My storage room needs serious intervention. I've got a pile (er... mountain) started in my dining room of boxes that are packed up and awaiting this summer's massive family yard sale. I'll be glad to have all the unneeded stuff out of my house. Everytime I pack up a box, I feel lighter and lighter.

8. Make new friends, but keep the old. (One is silver and the other gold.... sorry, couldn't resist.)
I've joined 2 additional WLS support groups where I'm meeting new friends all the time. I am also making some new friends at my weekly Group Therapy sessions (most are also part of the support groups). And getting out to the cultural stuff in town is sure to help me find more people to meet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails