Saturday, March 26, 2011

Spicy Turkey & White Bean Souperole

One of the things I love doing as I learn about graphic design and work toward my degree is to leaf through magazines and look at ads, article layout and general graphic designery type stuff. I pull out pages that catch my interest and add them to my "inspiration" notebooks.

Of course, as I'm looking through magazines I find stuff I want to refer back to that has nothing to do with graphic design stuff.... like recipes! This happens to be one of them.  This recipe started out as "white bean turkey chili" -- but once I started making it, and changing it, it turned into something different.

DSC_1018


This dish falls somewhere between a soup and a casserole. It's not quite brothy enough to be a soup, but it's too brothy to be a casserole. So I've created a new word for it: Souperole!

I made a large pot of this so I could freeze leftovers for quick meals. This recipe would also be enough to feed the whole family and still have some leftovers. Here's the recipe:

Spicy Turkey & White Bean Souperole


  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 pound ground turkey sausage (spicy!)
  • 1 can great northern white beans (drained/rinsed)
  • 1 can garbanzo beans (drained/rinsed)
  • 1 large onion 
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic (I use the stuff in the jar)
  • 5 stalks celery
  • 1 8oz package sliced baby bella mushrooms (chopped to bite size pieces)
  • 1 cup (or more) shelled edamame
  • 6 oz sliced jalapeƱo peppers (with the juice) - I used this
  • 1 32oz box chicken stock
  • 4 oz cream cheese (half a block)
  • 2 tablespoons dried oregano
  • 2 tablespoons cumin
  • salt and pepper to taste


In an extra large skillet (I have one like this) brown the ground turkey. Add the onion, garlic, celery and spices and let cook until the celery is tender. Add the remainder of the ingredients except the cream cheese. Let this simmer until everything is all combined and happy together (about 10 minutes). Add the cream cheese and let it melt into the mixture.

You could easily take this recipe all the way to "Soup" by adding a second box of chicken stock. Or you could drop this recipe back to a true casserole by eliminating the chicken stock and adding a cream soup to it then baking it in the oven for 20-30 minutes. I personally enjoyed the half-soup-half-casserole personality of this dish.

Enjoy!
~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails