Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I tried

From  the wonderful world of geekdom... I bring to you the reports of my attempt at  - and subsequent failure of - changing RSS Feed Readers.  :::: sigh ::::  I tried, really I did.  But it was a miserable failure.

For years I've used http://www.bloglines.com/ as my preferred RSS reader for keeping up with all my blogging buddies.  I love Bloglines.  But I kept hearing how great Google Reader was and all the great features it offered.  I admit, I was sucked into the hype.  So I transferred all my feeds over to Google Reader about two months ago. You know how much I love Google, so I'm sure you're already shocked that I wasn't useing their reader all along, right?  LOL!  This is actually the second time I've done the "switch."  The first time was shortly after Google introduced the service and I wanted to give it a try.  I didn't really like it then - so what made me think it would be much different now? 

I can't really pinpoint why I don't like Google Reader, exactly.  The one big that that bugs me is that old posts that I've already read still remain within the reading window -- maybe there's a way to make it them not appear, but the settings weren't very user friendly. A few other aesthetic things didn't appeal to me either, but nothing specific really.  I just didn't "feel comfortable" there.  Which meant that I didn't spend time on that website regularly like I used to do on Bloglines.  So I got WAY behind on reading. 

And then I realized yesterday how much I've missed reading the blogs I'm subscribed to and keeping up with friends and news. And when I'd look at the number of unread messages (over 2000) I'd get overwhelmed and not even attempt to catch up.  So I made the decision to move back to Bloglines  yesterday.  Whew!  It felt like home again. Unfortunately I had to "clear the decks" and just mark all those 2000+ messages as read so I could start over from scratch. I'm sure I've missed a lot of great stuff out there though. 

Now ya'll need to go write something new on your blog so I've got stuff to read again!  I'll be by to check it out soon. 

~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails