Sunday, March 28, 2010

I ate a kumquat too

My friend Nikki ate a kumquat last week.  She blogged about it.  And even chattered about it while we were talking online.  Which made me realize I'd never eaten a kumquat either... so I ran right out and bought some.

Ok, first of all they were expensive!  Dang!  $3.50 for a tiny container.  But I was curious enough to give it a try.

One other thing you should know about me is that I'm pretty picky about fruit.  For instance, one of the fruits I don't like is melon.  I don't do melon.  Or anything that resembles melon, has the texture of melon or smells like melon. That includes cantaloupe, watermelon and mangoes.  So when Nik mentioned it reminded her of a mango, I was immediately leery.

The verdict?

It was alright.  Definitely in the citrus family with a very tart and slightly bitter flavor.  The smaller sized kumquats were tastier than the larger ones.  In fact the larger kumquats has very large seeds inside that you couldn't eat, but the seeds in the small ones are small enough to eat without noticing.

Ok, so a few were fine to experiment with.  I definitely won't be eating these just plain.  In fact, I've now got most of my $3.50 container left and need to figure out what to do with them.  So I went in search of recipes. There's a Kumquat Growers website with a large recipe section. I've also done a search on RecipeZaar and there are several savory recipes available too.  For instance, Moroccan Chicken Breasts sounds very good.

I'll let you know which recipe I settle on and how the second half of this experiment goes.  Thanks for the inspiration, Nikki!

~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails