Saturday, March 13, 2010

Easy Oatmeal

This past fall when I was in Florida on vacation, I learned a new way to make oatmeal from my friend.  I guess it's not all that earth-shattering, but it has become my new way of cooking it. Instead of the normal stove-top method, I now do it in the microwave.  And once you have your basic bowl of oatmeal, you can add stuff to it mid-way through cooking.  Here's how:

Easy Oatmeal



Choose a bowl that you think might be too big.  I use a large soup bowl.  You want room for the water to bubble without going over the edges.  Add oats and salt to the bowl, then add enough water to cover the oats (about 1 cup or so?).  Cook on high in microwave for 1 minute.

You'll cook this for another 30-60 seconds, so determine if you have the right amount of water.  Too much, pour some off.  Not enough, add a little bit.  If you don't want to add anything to your oatmeal, just cook it again for 30-60 seconds or until it's done.  If you want additives, go to the next step before cooking.

ADD STUFF -- this is the point where you'll add stuff to your oatmeal.  A tablespoon of peanut butter.  A handful of frozen or fresh berries (blackberries is my current favorite).  Cinnamon. Splenda. SF Maple Syrup. Protein Powder.  Whatever you have a taste for, add it now.  Stir it in.

Cook on high for 30-60 seconds.  Done!  I usually add a bit of Splenda Brown Sugar and a splash of milk before I enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails