Sunday, August 23, 2009

Race Day

I'm sorry I didn't get this posted yesterday --- it turned into a hectic day and I just didn't have the time.
The Crim 10 mile race went well. I had to part a million miles away from the startline (it was actually about 1.25 miles) and got downtown much later than I'd planned. Met up with my friend Karen and waited for the race to start in the crowd of other racers. It took us about 7 minutes to get to the startline after the race started and we walked a moderate pace the whole way. I knew that Karen doubted that she'd be able to make it so I wanted to stick with her for the race in case she ran into any problems. She did good though!
One major problem of the race course was the lack of restroom facilities. It wasn't until almost halfway through the course when we found he first porta-john and the line up was horrible. It took us a good 5-7 minutes of waiting to get our turn, which seriously cut into our time. It would have been nice to see 2 or 3 facilities at that location instead of just 1. (BTW- see the guy sitting on the lawn next to the potty? Yes, he really did do the whole 10 miles with a cast on his leg and walking on crutches!)
The weather was gorgeous and I''m so thankful we didn't have to battle the typical heat and humidity of August. It was more like a pleasant spring day.
After the race I went to the Flint Farmer's Market to score some goodies. I love that place! They had stuff stacked high in anticipation of the crowds-
and it was definitely crowded. I got some vine ripened tomatoes, yellow grape tomatoes,
zucchini, squash, corn on the cob, green beans, cabbage, red and yellow plums and probably more stuff I can't remember. I'll be cooking later today for sure!
Distance: 10 miles
Time: 3:15:06
Pace: 19:31
Weather: Mid-60's, partly sunny and breeze. Beautiful day!

1 comment:

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails