Friday, March 20, 2009

Going to School

Remember my 9 Goals for 2009? Number five on the list is to go back to school. So I'm doing it.
I'm a college drop out. I went to a private college right out of high school, ran out of money and came home. Then I picked up a few classes at the local community college over the years toward a business administration degree, but never finished. So technically I'm a double college drop out.
But the time has come for me to finally get my butt into gear and get the degree. I'll be majoring in Graphics Communication -- primarily because the graphic artist at work is getting ready to retire and I want his job, but I can't get it without a degree. It won't be a huge pay boost, but it'll be a position I'd enjoy much more than the one I have now (not that I hate my job, just that I often feel like I'm wasting my skills).
Last night I met with an admissions counselor and took an assessment test. Next week I go to new student orientation, meet with the dean, take another algebra test and register for classes. The following week.... classes start!
I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I haven't attended college (in any real type of way) in about 12 years. I've taken a class or two here and there since then... but not seriously working toward a degree with a specific completion date and all that.
Also trying to determine if I want to just pay as I go and take fewer classes, or if I want to just take the plunge and do student loans and get it done as soon as I can. Taking on any debt scares me because I worked so hard to clear all my debt years ago ... so the student loan option is really iffy. But I also know that if this is going to take forever, I'm more likely to give up before its done. So trying to weigh those options and make a quick decision.
Also will need to think about the huge expenses of being a graphic design student -- new, more powerful computer, buying the super expensive Creative Suite 4 software package, etc.
I'm not sure which classes I'll start out with for this first semester/quarter. I was considering a "portfolio" class where I can work to obtain credit based on my work/life experience ... but it looks like I can't take that first and need to start out with some other things. I'll know more next week after talking to the dean.
So besides all the other stuff I've got going on in my life. It'll be interesting to see how I fit this new adventure into the mix without letting anything slip...
~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails