Monday, February 09, 2009

Bean Veggie Ham Soup

I have a few beans to use up. So figured I'd make a pot of bean soup. But then I wanted to add some veggies to the traditional recipe... so I threw in what I had. It's kind of a concoction of whatever I had in the fridge/freezer. Turned out pretty delicious!

Bean Veggie Ham Soup


  • 5 cups mix beans (black, kidney, Great Northern, pinto) 
  • 1.5 lbs ham - diced 
  • .5 lb Italian sausage - browned and crumbled 
  • 1 cup diced zucchini 
  • 1 cup diced carrots 
  • 1 medium onion - diced 
  • 3 stalks celery - diced 
  • 2-3 cups fresh spinach leaves (or use frozen, thawed, squeezed dry) 
  • 1 can diced tomatoes 
  • 2 quarts chicken broth
  • salt and fresh ground pepper 
  • spices (I used Italian Seasoning - oregano, basil, parsley mix) 
  • garlic powder 
  • corn starch (to thicken at the end) 

Sautee veggies on stove top  Add all other ingredients to crock pot and veggies when they are soft. Let simmer for a few hours until flavors are well mingled and the spinach is wilted and soft. If desired, thicken with corn starch at the end for a more "stew" consistency. 

This recipe makes a huge pot of soup. So plan to eat it all week and/or freeze portions for later. 

~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails