Monday, November 03, 2008

Papaya Enzyme

Even now, at nearly a year out from surgery, I still get food stuck once in a while. Usually it's a result of not chewing well enough or eating too fast... which is usually a result of doing something "else" while I'm eating and not paying attention like I should. Duh! You'd think I'd learn by now.
I had some chicken noodle soup for lunch today (the last of the homemade pot of soup I made last week). I wasn't feeling very hungry, so I knew I wouldn't be able to finish the whole bowl that I'd brought to work. Instead I just picked through the bowl and ate the chicken pieces.
And, of course, I got some chicken stuck.
So after about 30 minutes of suffering I remembered that I had some papaya enzyme tablets in my purse. I pulled out 3 of them and chewed them up - one at a time about 2 minutes apart. By the time I finished the third tablet I was already feeling better. It's now been about 15 minutes and all feelings of being "stuck" are gone. I'm always amazed at how quickly those things work!
For those of you who haven't heard of these, let me explain. Papaya enzyme is a sort of natural protein tenderizer that helps with digestion. Some people take it everyday, but I don't really see the need for it as a daily supplement. However, when I get some type of meat stuck in the pouch, chewing up a few of these works on that food and clears the path.
I always carry a little supply of these with me in a pillbox in my purse. I buy mine at Wal-Mart in the isle with the rest of the vitamins and supplements. They have saved the day more than once!
~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails