Thursday, December 14, 2006

Christmas Party

Last night I went to the Christmas Party for my WLS support group. There were 14 of us there and we had so much fun! It was a potluck dinner - but not like a normal potluck, of course. These receipes were weight loss surgery friendly. Everything was delicious. I brought mushroom caps stuffed with crab meat, creams cheese and bread crumbs. Lot of garlic too, of course. We also had a gift exchange and I received a beautiful collage picture frame. I've been looking at my bare living room walls lately, thinking that I'd like to put up some pictures. So this was the perfect boost to get me moving on that project. For those who don't know me well, I'll let you in a little secret. I'm basically a loner. I don't surround myself with a lot of casual friends and acquaintances. The few good friends that I have are great treasures to me and I hold them dear. Unfortunately, my really good friends don't live near me. The closest is 90 minutes away and the others live out of state. So I don't go "out" very often to just hang around with friends and have a social night out. And I'm fine with that. My life is busy and when I have free time, I often spend it doing something I enjoy on my own (going to a movie or lounging at Barnes & Nobel or scrapbooking). But the gals of the support group are quickly becoming treasured friends. We all come from different walks of life, different backgrounds and experiences, but we have something that ties use together. Obesity. Even the gals who are a part of the group who wear a size 4 jeans, have the same thing in common as those who have not yet started their WLS journey. But that's just the beginning of the thread between us. As we get to know each other through our weight loss process, we learn that we have more in common that might meet the eye. It's nice to be surrounded by women who care for each other. Women with compassion and love for each other. Not just for those who have been a part of the group for a long time, but even the new women who are just beginning. I've only known these folks for a few months, but I feel like they are lifelong friends already. It was a good Christmas party. I'm glad I'm a part of such a wonderful group. ~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails