Friday, August 18, 2006

Busy, busy, busy

I was a busy little bee yesterday! I tackled most of the paperwork that Hurley gave me and contacted my doctors to request my medical records. Not sure if I did it correctly, but I wrote a letter to both of my doctors (PCP and Gyn) telling them I am having gastric bypass surgery and asking them to 1) send a copy of my medical records 2) complete the form from Hurley about my medical/diet history and 3) write a letter of recommendation to aid in the insurance-approval process. I also included a copy of the complete diet history report that I produced in case they "forgot" some of the conversations we'd had over the years regarding my weight loss efforts. Right now my main concern with insurance approval is the requirement by BC/BS for 12 months of consecutive medically supervised weight loss efforts. Last year on August 1, 2005, I officially started my big diet. I say "big" because it is really the first really big effort I made toward long-term diet and exercise; really working hard at making a lifestyle change in my relationship with food. The reason I started that program a year ago was because I started thinking about gastric bypass surgery, but didn't want to do it. I wanted to know for sure that I had tried everything in my power to lose weight before I gave surgery any consideration. So I worked really hard. I was dedicated to the plan. I had a terrific diet partner and best friend who helped me stay on track and be accountable for everything I did. I was faithful to the diet and dedicated to the exercise program for 8 months. Then in March I cut back on the exercise. I went from 6 days per week of 35-45 minutes of walking down to 1-3 days per week. I stopped recording my food intake (which was steady at about 1400 calories/day). I still maintained a healthy eating lifestyle because I had changed my relationship with food over the past 8 months, but I didn't record every morsel of food that went into my mouth So you're asking why I claim to have been on this program for a year when it might appear to only be 8 months. Since March I've still remained active and still maintained a healthy diet. And when you compare my current lifestyle to what it was like before I stared a year ago - it is drastically different. I used to think a bowl of ice cream was an acceptable dinner. Or fast food was a sensible lunch. I never exercised unless it was cleaning the house or swimming in the pool with my nephew and niece (but that was normally lounging poolside and not actually swimming). So yes, even though I haven't been strict for the past 4 months, I still consider this a healthy diet program Want to know why I decided on WLS? In those hard 8 months of dieting and exercise I only lost 28 pounds. And that's taking into consideration that I was on a plateau for the last 4 months of that time. Then as soon as I dropped the exercise down a bit I started to gain again. It took me 8 months to take of 28 pounds but only 4 months to put it all back on... even while eating well and doing moderate exercise. What the heck is wrong with me? Oh sure I'm on medication that promotes weight gain, but I don't want to blame it on that right now. If I had maintained the pace I was going and actually continued to lose steadily like I had in the first 8 months - it would have taken me more than 5 years to lose the weight I need to lose. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know it took me a long time to get this heavy and it takes a long time lose it too. I know that WLS will help me lose the weight I need to and maintain it in a healthy manner. The statistics are stacked against me on this one .... I want to beat the weight in a way that it can't win. ~Pam

1 comment:

  1. You need to do what is best for you..But, read your entry again and think it over. A "plateau" is a fat person's word. I have used it a lot. The surgery will force you into a life long diet. It works for some. Read about SHANIN and KIM. They are doing great. There are others who don't. The bottom line is that your 1400 calorie a day and 5 times a week jaunts are not going to do it, with or without the operation. The operation is a tool to help you. You still have to eat almost nothing, until your body learns to burn what comes in. Getting there by surgery is an option. Explore the diet that the surgeon and doctor will put you on post-op. Follow that diet for the next month, pre-surgery. See how that works, then see what is best for Pam. Good luck, no matter the choice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails