Monday, September 09, 2013

Spicy Corn on the Cob

It's corn-on-the-cob season and I have always loved a good ear of corn with butter and salt. But recently I had roasted corn at a festival and the corn came sprinkled with a spice mix that the vendor called "Shucks" mix (i.e.: shucking corn) and Parmesan cheese along with the copious amounts of melted butter. Ever since that festival a few weeks ago, I've been playing with spice combinations and searching the web for recipes. Finally today, I've found the right combo and you're going to love this!

Corn-on-the-Cob Spice Mix
(I used a regular spoon from the silverware drawer, not measuring spoons... so these "measurements" are sort of approximate.)

3 spoons - Lawry's Season Salt
2 spoons - Garlic Herb Seasoning (similar to this variety of Mrs. Dash)
1 spoon - Garlic Powder (not garlic salt!)
1/2 spoon - ground Red Pepper powder (adjust to your own taste, this gives it a kick!)
1 spoon - Paprika


Mix together and put into a shaker bottle. Sprinkle on buttered corn then add a generous sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!

One more tip.... how to cook corn-on-the-cob.  I use to shuck the corn and boil it. But ever since I saw this video on YouTube, I don't use any other method. Just throw the whole cob - husks and all - into the microwave for 4 minutes. Don't attempt to clean up the corn before putting it in. If the hairs are really long, sometimes I'll chop them off with kitchen shears, but I usually don't bother.

When your 4 minutes is up, take it out with a hot pad and cut off the "stem end" and then just shake out the cob from the husk. Easy! Watch the video, this guy is so cute!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails