Thursday, August 02, 2012

Pouchy Peach Chicken Recipe

Pouchy Peach Chicken - at the halfway mark of cooking.
I'm on a camping vacation this week, and I've been experimenting with some recipes out of an awesome little cookbook I bought a couple years ago called Campfire Cuisine. What I love about this book is that it gives you recipes to make things at the campsite, but also how to make the same thing at home in your kitchen. And the recipes are pretty healthy and lean more to the gourmet side, rather than the quick/easy/processed side of campfire food.

In the dessert section there's a recipe for Baked Rum Peaches that includes brown sugar, butter and rum. Well, I don't drink and I don't do full-sugar stuff, so the recipe wasn't ideal for a WLS friendly dessert. But it got me thinking about how I could "Play with my Food" (ala Bariatric Foodie) and transform the idea of the recipe into something more dinner-like.Which ended up being this...

Pouchy Peach Chicken


1 boneless skinless chicken breast
general sprinkle of Lawry's Seasoning Salt (or just salt/pepper if you prefer)
2 peaches, sliced
1/4 small onion, sliced
1 handful baby petite carrots
1 tablespoon Splenda brown sugar
1 sprinkle cinnamon

Put the chicken in a foil pouch and season with Lawry's. Use a generous amount of foil here because you'll be adding all the rest of the stuff in the next step. Start cooking the chicken over the campfire. The cooking time is going to depend on how hot your fire is, or if you're using a grill or oven - so watch it carefully.

This method also works on one of these outdoor electric George Foreman grill and that's what I used the other day.  My dad has one of these cool campfire grill things in the RV, so I'm using it for my meals cooked over the fire and my second round of this recipe tonight will be done on the fire. Yes, I'm borrowing my parents RV for my vacation. Thanks Mom & Dad!

Let the chicken cook for about halfway. Then open the foil pouch (careful, burned fingers hurt!) and add all the other stuff on the list. Close the pouch back up and let the chicken cook the rest of the way through. Once it's all cooked and delicious open the pouch and serve either straight from the foil pouch or put it on a plate for a fine dining experience.

Enjoy!
Pam

1 comment:

  1. No campfire here but I think I can make this work in the oven!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails