Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Winter Fruit Salad (and Ice Cream)

For Christmas dinner I was asked to bring some type of fruit salad, so I went on a hunt for a recipe. The problem with making fruit salad in December is that fruit is expensive!! Not much in season in the dead of winter in Michigan. I found a couple good recipes to jump from, but my final salad was based mostly on what I found in the produce section of the grocery store. The final concoction was absolutely delicious!

DSC_9568


Winter Fruit Salad

1 red apple
1 green apple
1 pear
black grapes
1 mango
2 oranges (or clementines)
1 container pomagranate seeds (or about 2 whole fruits seeded)
3 kiwi
1 jar peach pie filling (like sugar-free version or this low-sugar version)

Cut up all fruit into bite-size pieces and mix in large bowl. Be sure to add the oranges to the bowl just before or just after the apples/pear and mix them together well. The acid in the oranges will help the apples to not brown. Or you could toss the apples in a bit of lemon juice if you prefer. Add the pie filling and mix well until all pieces of fruit are covered.

DSC_9578

Leftovers?

I had some leftover fruit salad that I took home and enjoyed as a side for a couple meals. Then I thought I'd try making it into some protein ice cream. Here's how I did it.

Winter Fruit Protein Ice Cream

1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup Winter Fruit Salad
1 container Carbmaster Yogurt (I used peach)
1 lemonade drink stick (I used Crystal Light)
1-2 tablespoons Splenda (depending on how sweet you like it)
Lots of ice (about 2-3 cups)

Place all ingredients in the Ninja Blender and pulse until ice and fruit are well blended. Then let the motor run for an additional minute to get everything frothy and happy. Serve in a bowl with a spoon.

Enjoy!
~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails