Thursday, November 11, 2010

Freedom is not Free

November 11th at 11:00 a.m. in cities all across America there were Veterans Day ceremonies. The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. Today we honor the men and women who have dedicated their lives to protecting the freedom we hold so dear. Some have sacrificed a portion of their life to serve in the armed forces and some have laid down their lives on the battlefield. For their dedication, sacrifice and love of our country, I am thankful.

DSC_8875


I have today off work and decided to attend the Saginaw County Veterans Day Ceremony at Hoyt Park. Veteran organizations around the county gathered along with active military men and women to celebrate a day to honor their service. Mayor Branch gave a moving speech and the Senior Guys Quartet from the Michigan Lutheran Seminary sang a beautiful rendition of the National Anthem and American the Beautiful.

Seeing the myriad of VFW and American Legion and Purple Heart organizations reminded me of my grandfather. I grew up in a family where the veteran lifestyle was instilled in my very soul. As a little girl I would spend time with the family at VFW events. And now, as a grown woman, I am still involved with the VFW where my grandmother and mother are members of the Ladies Auxiliary and I get asked to help with various projects from time to time. I'm so glad my grandfather taught the family the importance of loving your country and respecting what selfless men and women have given for my freedom. His love for America has made me a better person.

Thank you, Veterans, for all you do to keep America free!


DSC_8858


DSC_8868




2010-11-11


These are some photos from the ceremony. To see the rest, visit my Flickr Photostream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails