Sunday, April 18, 2010

Contemplating a Kindle or Sony Reader

So each year when I get my Federal Income Tax Refund I do the responsible thing and invest the money in home improvements, repairs or the retirement account.  But I always hold back a little bit for myself -- fun money. It's my once a year indulgence and permission to buy something completely guilt-free that's a total luxury. One year I spent $175 on the full set of Harmony Wood Knitting Needles (I still love them!).  So this year I filed my taxes late (just 3 days before the deadline) - which means my refund should be arriving any day now.


I'm contemplating buying a Kindle ebook reader from Amazon. I love to read but never get to read as much as I'd like because I don't want to carry books everywhere. I like the idea of being able to download books instantly from Amazon too - and there are thousands!. Kindle Bookstore  And CNet's reviewer seems to like the Kindle too.

But then again, I'm also thinking about the Sony Reader. But which one?  The Sony Touch Edition looks very cool and I like that it's a touch screen but still able to use a stylus if you want to take notes on the pages. This review  is very good.  I like that, unlike the Kindle, the Sony Reader can deal with a bunch of different file types -- PDF, Word Documents plus standard ebook formats. And of course there's thousands of books for download, just like the Kindle. All the Google Books stuff can be downloaded as well as many titles from public libraries can be "checked out." I've already got a bunch of ebook files that would work with the Sony -- but I can't make up my mind if I like the Kindle better or not.

I don't know what to do.  I've wanted one for a while -- but is it the right splurge for me this year? Do you have one? Which one and what do you think of it?

~Pam

7 comments:

  1. I have a Kindle and I LOVE it! Downloading is fast and easy. Lots of free and low-cost books available (mine is one of them http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZNJL78 but only if you like romance/women's fiction/chicklit). No eye strain. Built-in dictionary. And the K2 holds something like 1500 books. I really love my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use my phone to read. I've got a smartphone. I like being able to have 1 device. www.dearauthor.com has romance reviews, but she also does a lot of reviews on various ebook readers, hardware and software. It can be pretty complex if you buy different books from different places; but maybe pretty simple if you just buy from Amazon. I have a hard time with simple ;) I really love having lots of books in one place though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had a Kindle for about 3 years now. I still love it. I totally get the diversity of the Sony - the selling point for me, with the Kindle, is the whisper net technology. I can be anywhere and buy a book and download it without being connected to the computer. If I am sitting sipping coffee in a coffee shop and flip my Kindle on I can buy and read within a blink of an eye....divine. I'm not partial or anything. =]

    Which ever choice - I am sure you are going to enjoy the convenience of it. I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog through the OH forum. I am starting my program for WLS next week and was looking for some support groups....

    anyway, I too have the Harmony needles, love them! And I bought myself a Kindle and let me tell you it is AWESOME!! I would recommend it to anyone who loves to read and get's tired of carrying books or trying to find places to put them all after you've read them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your just to high-tech for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try an ipad...bigger screen than a kindle but very thin...I heard it will replace other readers in no time...and it can do more than just serve as a reader,.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a Nook, which my boyfriend bought me through Barnes & Noble for Christmas, and I love it. It's great for most popular books, but I've found that I've still needed to go the old-fashioned paperback route for PCOS and some of the specialty diet books I've wanted to read.

    The other thing I love is that I'm able to download sample chapters of books that I'm considering buying. I think I spent the first two months I had it reading sample chapters and never really getting to a real book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails