Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Messy House = Messy Eating

I'm a highly organized person .... at work. All of my organizational abilities are used up at the office so when I get home I have nothing left in me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. So yes, my house is a mess. It's not really that I'm not organized at home... it's that I don't have the time to be organized because I'm not home very often. On an evening when I have nothing going on and I can go straight home from work (which is rare) - I can walk in the door around 6:30 p.m. Last night I got home from work around 8:30 p.m. and that was because I had to stop at the store. On school nights (2 nights a week) I don't get home until around 10:30 p.m. (or later). So by the time I get home all I have time to do is grab a quick dinner and get to work on school stuff ... then fall into bed too late for a good nights sleep. These "quick dinners" aren't horrible choices... just not the best choice if I'd taken the time to really cook and prepare. Last night I grabbed an Arnold Thin w/ cream cheese and jam and a slice of deli turkey. A fine choice, yes. But not as "protein forward" as I'd normally choose if I had actually cooked. You've heard all this before. It's an ongoing issue for me. Never enough time to get it all done, blah, blah, blah. (Whine much?) I work 75 miles from my house, so I'm on the road an average of 15 hours a week, Monday through Friday. I go to school, attend support groups, meet up with friends and all the other stuff one needs to do to run a life. And weekends are filled with events, obligations or catching up on tasks left undone during the week. So yeah, I've chosen a busy life for myself. I've come to realize that when the house gets out of control (like it is now), I see a general "slacking" attitude in all areas of my life. Not eating properly, oversleeping, not being faithful with exercise or vitamins and water -- it all trickles down when the house is a disaster. Have you ever Googled "Messy House" ... it is fascinating to see how that one simple issue can affect all different areas of people's lives. Sheesh! There's even a medical diagnosis for it (Diogenes Syndrome). I don't believe I'm to the point of having that type of medical issue, of course. I think it's just a matter of lack of time and energy to get it organized and dealt with. I don't want my house to be an excuse for poor eating choices. So I'm making it a priority in the next week or two to get things in order and running smoothly again. ~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails