Monday, September 14, 2009

2:00 a.m.

I woke up at 2:00 a.m. this morning with low blood sugar. It was a 58 reading. Which is the lowest I've had recorded since I got my glucose monitor. I ate some grapes and cheese and a bit of trailmix - within 15 minutes a retest of my blood showed a normal reading. But then I was afraid to go back to sleep after I ate. I laid in bed and read for an hour. Finally around 3:15 a.m. I turned the lights out and fitfully slept till my alarm went off at 6:00. So what'd I do to cause it? Well... last night I "forgot" to eat dinner. Sorta. I got home around 8:30 p.m. and spent an hour cleaning the kitchen, prepping lunches and putzing around. I roasted some sweet potatoes for dinner and had planned to put some chicken with them. I had chicken on to boil for chicken salad and figured I'd steal some of that for dinner when it was done. Well, I ate the sweet potatoes while I was cleaning the kitchen and forgot to have the chicken later. As I was getting ready for bed around 11:30 I realize I'd eaten too many carbs, too late in the evening. So I had a slice of deli turkey (about 2 oz.) just before bed. Protein usually sustains my blood sugar and I knew I didn't want to wake up with a hypoglycemia episode in the middle of the night. I really did think that thought. "Eat some protein so your sugar doesn't drop." Gee - a lot of good that did, huh? So apparently protein alone doesn't do the trick of sustaining my blood glucose levels. I probably should have added some fats and complex carbs to that bedtime snack. Turkey, cheese and a few whole grain crackers, maybe? I haven't had a low sugar issue in a long time and I thought I was doing pretty good with figuring out how to make this whole thing work. So it was pretty surprising that I had the issue last night. This stuff scares me! ~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails