Saturday, February 28, 2009

Traveling Race Mania

My best friend, M, says I need a new goal to reach for.  After finishing the half marathon in October, I neglected to set a new goal to achieve in regard to my workouts.  He's right.(I hate when he's right all the time!)  So I'm setting a new goal now.

Traveling Race Mania

So the new goal is still in the formative stages, but at least I'm starting. I haven't worked my way up to running yet - I'd like to eventually get myself up to that level - but no matter if I walk or run...  I want to race.  5k's, 8k's, 10k's and maybe another half marathon or a 25k. I'd like to be in a race an average of two times per month... so every other weekend ... between now and October.   

But even better than finishing races, I want to travel as much as I can to participate in races all over Michigan.   And if I can combine a race with a weekend getaway, all the better.  And if that weekend getaway location includes a beach, I'm a very happy girl.

I just emailed an inquiry about a race next weekend (March 7th) near my home - I'll probably freeze my butt off, but at least I'll have begun.  I'm registered for a race on March 22nd with my WLS support group gals.  I'm committed to do the 10-mile race in August with my other WLS support group. I need to decide if I'm doing the 20-week training program again this year (registration for that will begin in a couple weeks).  So I'm already on my way.

These races won't necessarily be about the best finish time or winning -- it's about being involved and getting in the miles.  Yes, I'll push myself to do my best.  But right now I just want to get back out on the road! 

I'll begin a race calendar over in the navigation bar in the coming days and add races as I get registered so you can keep track of how I'm doing.  If anyone wants to join me in a race or two ... I'd be happy to have a race partner!

I woke up this morning at 7:00 thinking about my conversation with M last night about goals and this idea started forming in my brain.  As ya'll know from the last few posts, I've had a tough few weeks dealing with the mental crap that goes along with this WLS journey.  But I'm feeling excitment again with this new goal I've set for myself.  I was focusing too much on the food and the scale -- I needed a new focus and this is it.  Thanks M!

It's still winter here in Michigan, but planning races and looking at schedules and thinking about weekend getaways that just might happen to include a race and a little beach time.... it's beginning to feel like spring. 

What's your goal for spring?
~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails