Sunday, October 26, 2008

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

Since I've been sick, I've been craving chicken soup.  I finally got around to making it today and figured I'd share my made-up recipe with ya'll here (before I forget it).  


Chicken Noodle Soup



  • 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast (cut into chunks)
  • 6oz mini carrots (I used the petite ones already cleaned and ready to eat)
  • 8oz white mushrooms (sliced)
  • 3 stalks celery (diced)
  • 1/2 c. onion (diced)
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic (I'm too lazy to chop it, so I buy jarred)
  • 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
  • 6 cups water



Spices to taste:
salt
pepper
parsley
oregano


Put the water on to boil, season with salt, pepper and spices.  Cut up the chicken and add it to the pot.  Chop celery and add onion (I keep diced onion in the freezer). Add the bag of carrots.


By now the pot should be boiling, reduce heat to simmer. Taste the broth to see if seasoning needs to be adjusted. Add the quart of chicken broth to give the soup more volume. Let things simmer for about 30 minutes or so.


Slice/chop mushrooms and add to frying pan with a little bit of canola oil until brown and soft.  Add mushrooms to the pot. Let things simmer for another 30 minutes. Add the noodles and let them get soft.  


Yeah, yeah, yeah.... I know noodles aren't part of the WLS-friendly plan.  But I really wanted them and they taste really good.  Exclude them if you want.  Because I picked the brand I did -- the homemade amish variety -- they are not packed with preservatives and have a fair amount of fiber. 

Enjoy!
~Pam


PS -- It's Sunday afternoon and I'm feeling much better.  The cough has settled into my chest and I'm still hacking, but I'm feeling pretty good overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails