Monday, July 28, 2008

Questions About my Weight

In the past few weeks I've noticed people asking me about my weight and how much more I plan to lose. Many are saying things like, "You must be almost done losing, right?" And when I say I have more to go, they always seem surprised that I'm not done. It seems odd. I started this journey at 299 pounds. I've lost 95 pounds so far. My BMI started at 49 and is now at 33 - which is firmly in the "obese" category. My first goal weight is set at "160-ish" which would still leave me in the "overweight" category on the BMI chart. My surgeon's ideal goal weight for me is 130 which would put my BMI at 21 - right in the middle of the "normal" range. I'm still wearing 16/18 size pants and shirts ... that doesn't feel like a normal size to me just yet. I seem to be carrying most of the rest of my excess weight in my belly and hip area. My thighs could definitely use toning and fat loss too. My face and upper body is the slimmest part of me right now, I think. Eventually I want to be in a size of clothing that is "normal." I don't want to shop in the plus size departments anymore and I want to be able to go into any store and buy a typical size without a bunch of fuss. So technically I have anywhere from 35 lbs to 74 lbs left to lose - depending on whose goal you consider. Once I hit that first goal weight of "160-ish" I'll re-evaluate my progress and decide what to do from there. I might be perfectly happy at 169. Or I might feel I need to lose a bit more to get where I want to be. I won't know until I get there. I've stopped answering that question ("how much more do you have to lose?") with a number. My new response is that I'm not sure how much more I have to go yet, my body will let me know when I'm done. It seems strange that so many other people are obsessed about my weight and that magical number .... when I am not obsessing about it at all. I don't have a deadline for my weight loss and I don't have tunnel vision when it comes to hitting a certain number. I'm just enjoying the journey and seeing where I end up. ~Pam

2 comments:

  1. That is the best attitude I have read here yet. Well done..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, What a wonderful outlook you have and what a perfect response to people's questions! I am taking note of that one. :) Shauna

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails