Friday, July 18, 2008

I'm Not Superwoman

Last night I hit a wall. And paid for it this morning when I overslept for work because I couldn't get out of bed. And now, as I sit here at my desk, I'm still exhausted. For the past month I have literally been running at high speed without taking the time to relax, rejuvinate and take care of myself. And it is catching up to me at full force. I have been leaving my house at 7:15 a.m. every morning and not getting home until 9:30 or 10:00 p.m. every night during the week. Then weekends have been packed with family stuff, errands and other obligations. No wonder I've been grumpy. I don't want to deal with people. I don't want to be nice. I just want to be left alone. I just want to be home. My patience has run out and I noticed yesterday that I've grumpy to people that I care about. I mentioned this to my best friend M yesterday and he agreed. He's twisted and said he actually liked it when I was grumpy -- but I personally don't like myself when I act like that. Or when feel grumpy inside, for that matter. I need to get a grip on my attitude before it gets away from me. This past weekend I actually had 2 days with no plans and wanted to take advantage of the time alone to recoup from a few crazy weeks of busyness. But instead of relaxing, I ran errands, cleaned the house, dealt with my car stuff and was busy all weekend getting things done that had been put on the back burner while I'd been busy. Not exactly relaxing, huh? Last night I decided to skip my regular workout session and go straight home and spend the evening doing nothing. True to form, I had to make a quick stop at the store to pick up some stuff for work on the drive home so I didn't get home until after 7:00 p.m. I sat down on the couch and crashed. I could have gone to sleep right there and slept all night. But I got up and made dinner and watched TV for a while before going to bed early. I was so exhausted. This morning I literally slept through my alarm. The garbage truck outside my window woke me up and I realized my alarm had been going off for an hour and a half. And I don't see any relief in sight for the next several days either. I think my first free day is Wednesday of next week... So it's pretty obvious to me right now that I'm Not Superwoman. I can't do everything without rest. I need to take some downtime and relax. I need to find a balance between work, family obligations, my exercise schedule, finding time to relax as well as do the social things I want to get involved in. Balance. It's all about balance, isn't it? I'll add that to my list --- as soon as I get a minute to breath. ~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails