Monday, December 31, 2007

Eating Beef

Yesterday I was suppose to cook dinner for my grandparents, but plans fell through and I ended up with all these extra groceries. Including a 4 pound beef pot roast, a bag of potatoes, carrots and salad fixings. What to do? What to do? Cook it for freeze it or give it away? So I cooked the roast as I'd planned. It turned out delicious and I'm loving it! Before surgery my favorite comfort-food meal was pot roast with all the fixings of roasted potatoes and carrots and loads of gravy all over everything. I used a recipe I found on Michelle's website and altered it a bit to my liking. Here's what I did: In a skillet brown both sides of the roast. Chop 2-3 onions and place in bottom of crockpot Place browned roast into crockpot. Add 1 can of Cream of Chicken soup on top. Sprinkle on 1 envelope of onion soup mix on top. Add 1/2c. white wine. I let this cook for about 2 hours on high until everything melded together. Then ... Add 1 to 2 cups chicken broth/stock Add 1lb of chopped fresh mushrooms (leftover in the fridge) Let it cook on low for another 6 to 8 hours (I let it go for about 9 hours since I was gone). It's tender and juicy and delicious. BUT...... I was reading my surgery book this morning, preparing for my appointment on Wednesday, and read a line that states: "Beef is not recommended until 3 months after surgery." Oops! Guess I pushed that one a bit too fast, huh? But it went down easily and I didn't have any stomach problems because of it. So, I packaged up most of the roast and put it in the freezer. I had 2oz. for dinner tonight and I've got another 3oz. set aside in the fridge for later in the week. Yum! Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails