Saturday, September 18, 2010

Cinnamon Crumble Coffee Cake Muffins

DSC_6968
Cinnamon Crumble Coffee Cake Muffin

Yes my friends, WLS folks can eat coffee cake! And it's even low-carb, high-protein and DELICIOUS! Ok, not just delicious, really. It's more like sinfully delicious with a distinct feeling of naughtiness. But they're not naughty at all. In fact, they are perfectly legal and protein-forward. And bonus - high in fiber too!

I'd share with you. But I've decided to keep 'em all for myself. OK, maybe I'll share one with my Grandma when I see her tomorrow for breakfast, but that's it! All the rest are mine, mine, mine! You'll have to make your own!

Pam's Coffee Cake Muffins with Cinnamon Crumble Topping

Cake Ingredients
2 cups Carbquik Baking Mix
3 scoops vanilla protein powder (I used Body Fortress)
1/4 cup Splenda
4 tablespoons I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder

Cinnamon Crumble Ingredients
2 tablespoons I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
1/3 cup flour (I used white, but you can use whole wheat if you have it)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
2 tablespoons Splenda Brown Sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Add all cake ingredients together and mix well. Drop by spoonful into muffin tin filling each muffin cup almost to the top.  Set aside (leaving it sit for a few minutes will allow the batter to expand and the baking powder to activate).

Mix Cinnamon Crumble ingredients together, cutting in the ICBINB to the dry ingredients to create a crumbly mixture. Spoon equal amounts of the topping onto each muffin. Then with a knife poke each muffin a few times to help dig the crumble topping down into the batter (I like my cinnamon topping to be down into the muffin a bit as well as sitting on top).

Bake at 350-degrees for 15 minutes or until Coffee Cake Muffins just turn golden brown. Eat one immediately while it's piping hot out of the oven and let it burn your tongue a little bit - it's a heavenly experience. You can save the rest for later and even share with the family if you want (but you're not required to share!)
DSC_6966
You must eat the first one immediately when they come out of the oven.



Makes 12 muffins.
These muffins are "normal sized" muffins, so newbies might only be able to eat half.

Nutrition for each muffin:
Calories: 125
Fat: 5g
Carb: 14g
  Fiber: 7g
Protein 14g




4 comments:

  1. When can someone eat this? Is this okay for a phase 4 that is a little over a month out? Or is this more like a 6-month-out kind of thing. They look and sound absolutely fabulous! I can't wait to try them - whenever I can.
    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kimberly - This might be a bit difficult for someone who is newly post-op. Usually anything that's bread-based is bad news for a new RNY pouch and you might only be able to eat a bite or two once you're cleared for solid foods. I'd guess you won't comfortably be able to eat these until you're about 6 months out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam!

    These were great! I wanted an apple muffin, so I added three medium apples to the batter recipe. B/c this increased the volume, I wound up with 12 regular muffins and 16 mini-muffins (about 20 regular muffins worth). Whole wheat flour for the crumble worked great, though I had a lot of crumble mix left over (maybe I should have been more liberal with it lol).

    Smart Balance worked fine as a replacement for ICBINB. I used GNC Whey 28 protein powder. All of those things taken into consideration it was roughly 100 cal and 10g protein per muffin. GREAT stats and a very tasty treat! Thank you SO much! The batter base can be used for so many different muffins... my wheels are spinning with ideas right now! LOL

    Michelle
    sangriasisters.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is an old post, but I wanted to add something. To lower the count I used unsweetened almond milk, and almond flour for the topping. Also unused Trivia son I could use a lot less and added some ground coffee. SO good! Thanks for the post :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails