Sunday, September 19, 2010

Changes and Sacrifices


I am about to embark on some changes in my life - sacrificing some things that I enjoy for something else that will be good for my future. I wish there was a way to have it all, but I've had to make decisions about what I want and what I'm willing to give up for now.

Last week I interviewed for a new job - a part-time work-study position - and I was offered the job before I left the office.  The job is only 6 hours a week with short shifts on Monday and Tuesday evenings after my day job.

I'll be working in an office that does exactly what I want to do with my future -- graphic design and event planning /coordination. It is a creative job and will give me the chance to use the skills I"m learning in school right now and pair those skills with the expertise I have in event planning, administration and project management. Sure, I'll just be a lowly student on a staff of others with lots more play in the game... but just being part of it is exciting. And it'll give me the experience I need for my future career as a graphic artist. So yes, this is a good thing.

The hard part is that I'll be giving up some things that are important to me.

Two Mondays a month is WLS support group meetings. One at my surgeon's office and one a peer-based group in a neighboring town. So for now, I won't be attending those meetings anymore. The group that I lead in my home town is the second Tuesday of the month, but I let my new supervisor know that I would need to have that one day a month off work to maintain that commitment.

There's also my photography club which is held on the first Tuesday of each month. I enjoy this group of friends and the challenges of photography assignments each month. They often have photowalks on weekends and I hope to still be involved in those.

Even though my new work schedule is only 6 hours a week, it will mean a pretty full schedule for the foreseeable future. The work schedule will put me home late two nights a week and my class schedule will put me home another two nights a week. Those who know me know that I'm a homebody and like being at home and just putzing around the house.  I fear a bit of "stir-crazy" will settle in with too much of this type of schedule... but I'm going to do my best to compensate elsewhere. I'll also need to be very careful with my time on the weekends to make sure I'm getting all my class work done before I my work week.

So there you go. I'm doing the typical thing again.... overbooking my time and setting myself up for exhaustion. But I'm going to do my best to schedule time to take care of myself and my emotional and spiritual needs in the hectic times. I'm excited about the opportunity I'm being given to work with this new job. It won't last forever, right? And once I finish school and begin my new career, this next year of work-study will be a valuable addition to my resume and experience level.

~Pam

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam...I wish you luck. I'm looking ahead to May when I will likely be changing my life by quitting work and going back to school. I really admire what you are doing and wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails