Monday, July 12, 2010

Protein Fruit Smoothie & Popsicles

After making the Finger Jell-O Fruit Bars for Saturday's picnic I had some fruit juices leftover. I drained several cans of fruit packed in their own juices or packed in water --- and kept the juice. Any fruit would work, but mine happened to be a combination of pineapple, pear, peach and mandarin orange liquid.

I am NOT talking about straight fruit juice that you buy as a beverage.  These juices are often not a good choice for WLS folks because they have so much sugar.  The liquid I'm talking about is when you have a can of fruit that's been packed in water or it's own juice that is meant to be thrown away once you take the fruit out of the can.  

This particular recipe makes a LOT of smoothie mix... so half goes into my tummy immediately and the other half goes into popsicle molds for a frozen treat later.

Protein Fruit Smoothie & Popsicles

1 or 2 scoops strawberry protein powder (I use Body Fortress)
8 ounces can fruit liquid drippings
1/2 c frozen strawberries
1/2 c frozen raspberries
6 ounce container Carbmaster Yogurt - any flavor (or greek yogurt would work too)
1 Tablespoon DiVinci Sugar Free Syrup (I used raspberry)

Additives (add only to the protein smoothie portion)
UpCalD - powdered calcium citrate plus vitamin D
Fiber Powder - I use Metamucil Clear and Natural


Add all ingredients to the blender jar (I love my Oster Fusion) and let it whirl. This is going to be super thick and you'll think you need to add more liquid. Don't!  Just let the blender go for a while until it creates a vortex - when the liquid from the bottom spins up and creates a whirlpool at the top.  Then let it go for a little while longer. This take about 1 to 2 minutes of blending.

NOTE: The reason I suggest either 1 or 2 scoops of protein powder is because this is a large recipe.  If you're going to drink the whole thing in one serving, then only use 1 scoop. But if you're going to split it into a smoothie and popsicles, then use 2 scoops. That way your immediate protein shake has a good helping of protein plus your popsicles have plenty of protein for later too.

Pour half into a glass for your immediate protein smoothie yumminess.  Pour the other half into popsicle molds - I have these. I actually have some other popsicle molds that I found at the dollar store, but hate them. For some reason the popsicles just don't come out nice and smooth. But these Tovolo molds are so easy to use and I like that they have their own stand so they are easy to sit flat in the freezer. Plus I like that they're slightly oversized compared to most molds you find in stores (more protein!).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails