Sunday, May 10, 2009

Greek Yogurt Coleslaw

My buddies over on OH have been playing Iron Chef for the past few weeks.  This is the first chance I've had to participate.  This week's secret ingredient is "Greek Yogurt."  I've never been a big fan of the yogurt, but I played along anyway.  Here's what I came up with:


Greek Yogurt Coleslaw


  • 1 small (really small) head cabbage
  • 3/4 c. shredded carrots (or buy the bag of shredded carrots at the store)
  • 1/4 c. fresh chives (from my garden)


Dressing:

  • 12 oz greek style yogurt  (I used Oikos from Walmart)
  • 1 sploosh white vinegar (maybe 1/4c ??)
  • 2 T. Splenda
  • 1 T. celery seed
  • salt & pepper
  • milk (optional)
  • mayo (not officially a part of the recipe, read description below)


Shread the veggies and mix in a bowl.  It was fun to get to use fresh chives from my garden (which isn't actually planted yet, but these came back from last year).   In a separate bowl mix the dressing.  Depening on how much cabbage mixture you have, you might need to increase the amount of yogurt and vinegar.  I personally added a splash of milk to thin out the dressing - but you might not need to do this.  

Ok, so I made this up and let it marry a bit in the fridge for the flavors to mingle.  But I really didn't like the taste of it.  I'm sure this stems from the fact that I don't like greek yogurt - it was a bit too "sour cream" tasting.  So I added about 1/2 cup of mayo to the salad and mixed it in.  The flavor improved 100% and I actually like it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails